Nov 1 2012
Cal Poly’s Kennedy Library announces the opening of their fall exhibit, Atelier Morgan: The Personal Archives of Architect Julia Morgan with a reception from 3-4 p.m. on November 9 in the library, followed by a lecture from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Business Rotunda at Cal Poly by historian Victoria Kastner.
The exhibit, which is designed to travel to other libraries and galleries, presents visual representations of Morgan’s craft and design aesthetic. It will be shown alongside Cal Poly architecture student work inspired by her design principles.???Featured in the exhibit will be reproductions of Morgan’s student work at the cole de Beaux-Arts in Paris, William Randolph Hearst commissions, civic work with YWCAs and residential commissions.
• The exhibit is open during regular library hours, November 9, 2012 – January 11, 2013.
• Location: Robert E. Kennedy Library, Learning Commons 2nd floor.
• Friday, November 9, from 3pm- 4pm at the Gallery at the Commons, 2nd Floor, Kennedy Library
• Victoria Kastner, Historian for Hearst Castle (Hearst Lecture Series, Sponsored by CAED)
• Friday, November 9, from 4- 5 p.m. in the Business Rotunda, Cal Poly
The College of Architecture and Environmental Design’s 2012 Hearst Lecture Series features Victoria Kastner, historian for Hearst Castle and author of two books: “Hearst Castle: The Biography of a Country House” and “Hearst’s San Simeon: The Gardens and the Land.”
All events are free and open to the public.
Image Credit: Julia Morgan Studio Portrait, Paris, c. 1900 | Courtesy Special Collections, Kennedy Library