October is “Arts Month” and three local groups are hosting PASSPORT TO THE ARTS, Saturday,October 6th from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in downtown San Luis Obispo. The Central Coast Center for Arts Education at Cal Poly, the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art and ARTS Obispo, the San Luis Obispo County Arts Council have joined forces to entice families to come downtown to experience the arts for free throughout the city center. PASSPORT TO THE ARTS is intended as a celebration of the arts and will allow children to see performances and meet local artists and talk to them about their art disciplines.
PICKUP A PASSPORT:
Families can pick up their free bag of arts information and passport for autographs in front of the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art beginning at 10:00 a.m. SLOMOA is located at 1010 Broad Street (on the west end of the Mission Plaza) San Luis Obispo, California 93401.
The Passport package will include:
- A Passport in which children can get the signatures or stamps of performers at several sites;
- a reusable bag of information about upcoming arts events, lessons and performance information for the year;
- Map of all venues. Venues will also be marked by signs and balloons.
- Plein Air festival: artists will be doing their “Paint Out” canvases in Mission Plaza and surrounding downtown. Families can observe the artists at work and return for autographs in the passport books at 12:00 before the live auction of festival paintings;
- From 10:00 to 1:00 there will be Plein Air painting for children on the Museum lawn;
- Musical performances at Court St. Plaza opposite Pottery Barn;
- Theatrical performances at the SLO Little Theatre;
- Singers and guitarists at BooBoo’s Records;
- Storytellers and readers of children’s books inside the SLO Library in the children’s section;
- and a self-directed quiz tied to the public art along the creek walk opposite the Mission and in the library.
For more information contact:
Susan Duffy of CCCAE (543-7963) Karen Kile of SLO Museum of Art (543-8562) or Charlotte Alexander of ARTSObispo (544-9251)